Don's Computer Apps Ideas

See What I Think!

Saturday, March 7, 2009

7th and 8th Week

This has been an interesting week with the designing of the website. It has also been a week of frustration at times with the organizing and naming files so they can be linked properly. And, getting them to open in the same window so that your desktop doesn’t look like those paintings you see where everything looks like it was thrown on the canvas. I think those are cool in the museums and all, but not when you are trying to navigate from one link to the next. But, I survived, and I think the site serves the purpose of instruction pretty well.

The discussion topic this week is one I’m having a little trouble with also. Like I said it was a week of adversity, but as the saying goes “what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.” This week's discussion topic involved social networking. I know this is the latest craze among our young adults and some grown adults today, but I’m still not convinced of its educational benefits. I have two teenage sons, and the youngest one is really into this sort of thing. He even helped his grandmother to develop her own Facebook, but I have to agree as was mentioned by others that it is a line I don’t want to cross with my students. Every time my son gets on one of his teachers Facebook pages I get this kind of eerie feeling like he is connecting with them in to personal of a level. Maybe, it is just the dad in me speaking. But, I’ll remain the teacher, and they can remain the student.

Don Bates

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don,

I agree I like FB for SOCIAL networking. I think sites like Moodle work just fine for the "school" stuff. What do you need an educational FB page for that you can't do in an actual educational-based program?

March 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home